Welcome to the Culina Cooks Blog

Musings, recipes, cooking tips and shared thoughts. Have fun, tell us what you think - we really do care and we really are listening.

Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The Harvest

This weekend I dug potatoes and picked beans with Jessica and I loved every dirty, sweaty minute of it. We could only work for a couple of hours because a late summer storm threatened overhead forcing us into the house. I love Jessica's kitchen - sure it is a dreamy "cooks kitchen" that anyone would die for but that is not what I love about it. I love the honesty of it. There are garden vegetables lining every window sill, earthy potatoes piled in shoe boxes, crates and recycled shopping bags, glad containers are stacked high in both refrigerators filled with beautiful fresh picked beans and of course there is the cook in the center of it all; down to earth, honest to the core, generous and kind to all who call her friend.

We piled our riches from the garden among the harvest in her kitchen. It was fun to listen to Jessica as she sorted the different kinds of potatoes and beans. She is passionate about these edible treasures and wants to share that passion with everyone who will listen. I received an education and now I am inspired to make my own garden next year. Every time I look upon my large plot of land I feel somewhat irresponsible that I am not putting it to better use. I am reminded of a comment a Russian girlfriend made when she first came to the USA. She could not believe that Americans have all this land and we use it to grow "grass!"

Once things were sorted out, Jessica made a nice lunch consisting of green beans lightly sprinkled with BR Cohn Olive Oil and sauteed in her favorite non-stick pan by "Swiss Diamond", sliced tomatoes (yellow, red, purple), and cucumber slices lightly seasoned with sea salt. Deeeelish!

It was a perfect day.

Later I mashed some of those potatoes with roasted garlic and melted brie cheese. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment