Welcome to the Culina Cooks Blog

Musings, recipes, cooking tips and shared thoughts. Have fun, tell us what you think - we really do care and we really are listening.

Search This Blog

Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Greetings from Paris!

My dear friends, I had intended to write daily but my job has me hopping and obligations to long time friends here take precedence - friendships are important. It is nearly 4:00 am (I am a chronic insomniac while I am here) and it is time for sleep but I wanted to knock this out before I keep my date with a pillow. Enough about that. I am happy to report that I am coming home with wonderful goodies for the holidays.

First let me preface the following with this; if going to France, do yourself a favor and learn a little French. Even a little goes a long way. Over the past few years I have fostered friendships with the proprietors of my favorite little kitchen haunts and suppliers and it has paid off.

I have not had much of a chance to eat great food, except for my quick jaunt to G. Detout and my fav kitchen stores, I have been confined to the room eating hotel food. I did have an interesting mushroom sauce and some of the best olives...mmmmm. The mushroom sauce had a hint of chocolate (not sweet chocolate) which really enhanced the woodsy taste of the mushrooms. I loved it! Let me tell you about these incredible olives! A combination of green and black olives soaked in cinnamon sticks, corriander seed, parsley, lemon, olive oil and a little salt. Definitely a holiday treat to try. I have asked for the recipe so I hope I get it before I leave. Follow - up: No dice on the recipe - oh well, another opportunity to put my own twist on a dish.

Well readers, my eyes are slamming shut and unless I want to use toothpicks with olive juice on them to pry them open, I had better let them close for the night. Forgive the typos and run on sentences.

See you all real soon
Kathleen

No comments:

Post a Comment